Every year on Thanksgiving weekend, the shores of Fowler Lake, WI get a festive makeover thanks to the German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc, a European-style Christmas market with dozens of enchanting stalls and an exciting activities program for visitors of all ages.
In this German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc guide, we’ll share everything you need to know about experiencing the wonders of this famous Wisconsin Christmas Market for yourself.
When is the German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc?
The German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc takes place every year during Thanksgiving weekend.
According to this local newspaper article, the shopping portion of Oconomowoc’s German Christmas Market will take place in 2021 during the last weekend of November, from Friday, November 26 to Sunday, November 28.
The entertainment tent however will be opening earlier on Wednesday, November 26.
Read our full list of Christmas market opening dates in the USA for more.
Where to Stay for the German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc
Wondering where to stay while exploring Ocnomowoc’s German Christmas Market? Here are some accommodation options:
- Budget: Click here to check reviews and availability
- Mid-Range: Click here to check reviews and availability
- Luxury: Click here to check reviews and availability
Where to Find the German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc
According to the event’s official website, the market can be found on the corner of Main Street & Wisconsin Avenue.
Those navigating with GPS should type in 100 E. Wisconsin Avenue, Oconomowoc, WI 53066 to find it.
The event site is broken up into a few different sections:
- Christmas Village: A collection of 30+ outdoor stalls to browse under a glittering canopy of lights
- Holiday Party Tent: A heated tent with live music and authentic German cuisine
- Indoor Biergarten: An indoor tent selling beers, Glühwein and other libations
- Heated Santa Tent: Where you can get photos with Santa!
- Heated Shopping Tent: Where you’ll find additional vendors that require a warm selling environment
- Gingerbread Decorating Station: A great kid-friendly activity run by Oconomowoc Food Pantry
What to Eat at the German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc
One of the top reasons to visit Oconomowoc’s German Christmas Market is the food!
All throughout the market, you’ll find tasty treats to indulge in, from kettlecorn and coffee to Glühwein and Bavarian nuts.
Here are some of the culinary delights you can expect based on the Vendors list from the official event website:
- Classic German/Austrian cuisine like sausage (wurst), chicken schnitzel, sauerkraut and strudel from Weissgerber Restaurants
- Roast almonds, pecans, cashews and more from Kleines Bayern Nuts
- Authentic German pretzels and beer from the Old German Beer Hall
- Tasty BBQ from the Barbecue Company
- Fried cheese curds from Say Cheese WI
What to Buy at the German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc
Of course, another must-do at Oconomowoc’s German Christmas Market is shopping!
You can find a full list of vendors here, but you can definitely expect to find:
- Handblown glass ornaments from Europe
- Local food products like cheese and pickles
- Handmade soaps
- Unique jewelry and time pieces
- Gifts from Sweden, Russia, and beyond!
NOTE: There’s also a wide assortment of excellent retail stores in downtown Ocnomowoc to browse after you’re done with your Christmas market escapades.
Extra Tips for Visiting the German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc
If you’re planning to visit Oconomowoc at Christmas time, here are some additional tips to be mindful of.
Know where to find parking
The German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc is a busy event, so it’s best to get a feel for the parking situation beforehand!
According to the official website, here are some nearby parking spots:
- Large parking lot east of the market (behind City Hall).
- Large parking lot south of the market, behind the buildings downtown
- Large parking lot west of the market (just beyond First Bank Financial Centre)
- Reserved handicapped spaces can be found in the lot directly east from Chase Bank to City Hall
There is also some street parking available around the venue.
Some vendors will not be accepting cards, so bring cash with you if you plan to shop! NOTE: There will also be some ATMs on site.
Know that there’s a fee to enter the Wintergarten
While the German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc is mostly free to attend, the Wintergarten requires a small paid entry fee of $2.
Where to Find More Info on the German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc
The absolute best resource for up-to-date information on the German Christmas Market of Ocnomowoc is their official website.
Help us improve this German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc Guide!
Do you have a pro tip about the German Christmas Market of Oconomowoc? A particular souvenir you loved, or a delicious treat you tried? Let us know in the comments what your insider tips are for Oconomowoc’s Christmas Market so we can help improve this guide for all future visitors.